REVIEW OF MY POEM A LOOK AT LIFE-43

Thanks and gratitude to Prof Cijo Joseph Chennelil, eminent poet and literary critic for writing a beautiful review on my poem 'A LOOK AT LIFE-43'. Thank you very much sir for your wonderful words

Smruti Ranjanji,

Your poem titled"A Look At Life-43"is a poem of nostalgia and the desolation felt due to the disappearance of the good old days,the days of vibrancy and exuberance are gone,now it is a life of alienation,isolation,loneliness,disappointments and disillusionments,today it is all about having a desertion in terms of life,everything seems lost in the wilderness,the glorious days of the past taunt the thought processes like anything,the futility of building a posh house with all facilities and amenities is so apparent now because the expectations and anticipations of the past are so much belied now,those dreams and aspirations are shattered and battered now,the luxurious aspects of the household are left in ruin nowadays,they hold resplendent memories of the past,but today they are all gone with the winds,only broken images linger on disturbing the individual who is in the whirlpool these nostalgic feelings,the past was weighed down by many possibilities and probabilities culminating in those happy days with children and grandchildren under one roof,but now everything stands compromised because the birds have flown away seeking greener pastures and opportunities elsewhere leaving their parents out their in the lurch to fend for themselves,today all their dreams do remain suspended in the mid-air and they have only each other for company,that is the reality,they need to accept unreservedly nowadays.Kudos to you Smurtiji for composing such an outstanding poem with myriad meanings in it.

Cijo Joseph Chennelil.All Copyrights Reserved@On 24th December 2017.

A LOOK AT LIFE-43
BY- SMRUTI RANJAN MOHANTY

No present to live for
no future to look forward to
I was unfolding the pages of life
to feel the beautiful moments I lived
to know the person I was
which is so alien right now

That dilapidated building
my wife's dream
built on my sweat and blood
still stands there
the delicately furnished interiors
with lots of dirt and filth now
laugh at me
telling me how wrong and futile I was
in dreaming a future
that never came by

The broken walls of the house
Persian carpets hanging on it
with coats of dusts remind me
how elegant once they were
how passionately they were decorated
like a bride to welcome my son
and his newly wed

How beautiful and fulfilling life was
the crumbling relics of which now we have
the costly toys and beautiful gadgets
lovingly procured for our grand children
lying dead in a corner
like us they need someone's touch
to come alive again

Recapitulating those glorious days
and fascinating moments
completely lost I was
all of a sudden
I felt someone touching my shoulder
she was non else but
my wife with a cup of tea
passionately looking at me
telling me with a loving smile
'look at me, am I not your whole world?
am I not your dream, present, past and future? when I am here, why are you so sad'

copyright@smrutiranjan 15.9.2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A LOOK AT LIFE-165

A LOOK-7